Oven-baked Barley Sprout Tofu Balls
Oven-baked tofu balls are such a healthy yet filling meal and also a good bite-sized appetizer for your guests. It can be enjoyed on its own or with sweet chili sauce.
* Note: Firm tofu recommended.
· 3 tablespoons Barley Sprout
· 400g firm tofu
· carrot, finely chopped
· mushrooms, finely chopped
· 1 egg
· 3 tablespoons glutinous rice flour
· 1 teaspoon salt
1) Make Barley Sprout tea (click here to see the steeping instructions). Strain the tea leaves and set aside.
2) Using a food grade cotton or hemp cloth, squeeze all the water out of the tofu. If you don't have a cotton or hemp cloth, press and drain tofu by wrapping tofu with 3 layers of paper towels and one absorbent kitchen towel and placing something heavy (e.g. books) on top of it. (Note: If you don't remove water thoroughly, it might take longer to cook tofu balls well-done).
3) Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix.
4) Make bite-size balls.
5) On a baking tray, lay parchment paper and place tofu balls.
6) Bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC for 30 minutes. Rotate the tofu balls once or twice while baking so that all sides are cooked. When 30 minutes is up, check the inside of one ball to see if it's cooked through to the centre. If you didn't remove all the water out of the tofu completely, you might need to bake longer than 30 minutes. When the surface of each tofu ball is crispy and the inside is cooked, it's ready to eat!
7) Serve with sweet chili sauce for dipping (optional).
Enjoy the tasTEA tofu balls!