Sejak Sparkling Tea with Kanten Fruit Jelly
Kanten (Agar-agar, 한천, 寒天) is a natural gelatine obtained from red algae, and 80% of the contents is fibre. It has been used in low-calorie diets as well as a vegetarian and vegan alternative to animal-derived gelatine.
In Korea, people often make unsweetened jelly with Hancheon garu (kanten powder in Korean language) and make spicy and sour salad adding the jelly, cucumber and onions. My mom also used to make this type of salad when I was little and it was one of my favourite childhood delicacies. (I will introduce this recipe in the near future too!)
When I found Kanten Canada, a Toronto-based online store selling kanten products and introducing recipes for food and desserts, I was so happy to purchase kanten powder which is very rare to see even in Korean supermarkets in Toronto.
Have you tried infusing tea in sparkling water? It is very refreshing and such a cool choice especially in summer. Sejak Sparkling Tea with Kanten Fruit Jelly is very easy to make, and it is also such a pretty, refreshing and TEAlicious drink!
Note: This post is not sponsored whatsoever, and I wanted to purchase kanten powder and make this drink for my tasTEA journey.
Ingredients (2-3 servings):
Sejak Sparkling Tea
· 6g or 2 heaping tablespoons Sejak
· 1 bottle sparkling water of your choice
Kanten Fruit Jelly
· 2g kanten power
· 350ml water
· 45g sugar
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
· fruits of your choice, cut into small pieces (e.g. strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, mango, kiwi, lemon, lime, etc)
1) Add Sejak leaves in sparkling water and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
2) Pour kanten powder and water(not sparkling water) into a saucepan and stir well.
3) Boil the mixture for approximately 2 minutes until kanten powder completely dissolves.
4) Add sugar and stir until the sugar completely dissolves.
5) Turn off the heat and add lemon juice.
6) Put cut fruits into an ice cube tray.
7) Pour the mixture into the tray and let cool at room temperature or in the refrigerator. (It is solidified at room temperature, and the jelly doesn't melt at room temperature. However, in order to enjoy this drink cool, you need to let the jelly cool in the refrigerator).
8) When the fruit jelly is ready, cut the cubes out with a small knife, and add them in a glass.
9) Take the Sejak sparkling tea out of the refrigerator. Strain the tea leaves and pour in the glass, and serve.
Enjoy the tasTEA drinks!